Guest: Juan Sequeda
About this Episode:
Today’s guest is Juan Sequeda, Principal Scientist at data.world and Co-Host of the Catalog & Cocktails Podcast. Juan joins Seth Earley and Chris Featherstone and shares how to understand the problem that you are trying to solve. Juan also discusses how your company's success should be defined differently. Don’t focus on just the goal being to save money and make money, have the focus be on solving a problem. Be sure to listen in on Juan giving his advice on how to understand who you report to in order to speak the same language!
- Juan believes that the market is pretty immature when it comes to, what they want or what they think they want. This is where the data catalog comes in to help since the majority of the data a company as they don’t know where to look.
- From the perspective of the data management world, it’s focused on only technology. The problems that they had been trying to solve 30 years ago continue to be the same problems they’ve been trying to solve.
- Juan thinks that it is very important to look at data management, not just from a technical perspective, but from a social perspective.
- A good tactic that Juan has used before is if you are on the technical side of your business, it is important to understand who you should be reporting to. Every position has a different outcome on who you report to, so it is key to grab that understanding early on.
- It is important to understand the problem you are trying to solve in your company. Just going on with your workday and not working on the problems can result in your business failing. Address the importance of how you have this problem, then solve the why.
- Juan’s definition of a knowledge graph is representing real-world concepts and the relationships between those real-world concepts end up forming a graph. The reason why the graph is really valuable is because you can integrate data coming from many diverse sources.
Quote of the Show:
“Keep working on the same vision.” (07:50)
- Twitter: https://twitter.com/juansequeda
- LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/juansequeda/
- Website: https://data.world/home/
- Juan’s Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/catalog-cocktails/id1524652737
- Juan’s Portfolio: https://www.juansequeda.com/
- Book: https://www.amazon.com/Integrating-Relational-Databases-Semantic-Studies/dp/1614996288
Ways to Tune In:
- Website: https://www.earley.com/earley-ai-podcast-home
- Apple Podcast: https://podcasts.apple.com/podcast/id1586654770
- Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/5nkcZvVYjHHj6wtBABqLbE?si=73cd5d5fc89f4781
- iHeart Radio: https://www.iheart.com/podcast/269-earley-ai-podcast-87108370/
- Stitcher: https://www.stitcher.com/show/earley-ai-podcast
- Amazon Music: https://music.amazon.com/podcasts/18524b67-09cf-433f-82db-07b6213ad3ba/earley-ai-podcast
- Buzzsprout: https://earleyai.buzzsprout.com/
Thanks to our sponsors: